(3) Isopropyl alcohol
(4) Cotton swabs
(5) Replacement kit, P/N 240A054 (NSN 5985--01--485--7165)
d The purpose of this procedure is to provide a documented process that will enable a technician to remove and replace
a damaged radome from the RFI antenna or receiver in the field. The following tools are required for removing and installing
the radome(s), P/N 240A058--1 (with shrink sleeving).
(1) Heat Gun (293 degree F requirement), 4940--00--785--1162
(2) Small side cutter, 5120--01--356--6611
(3) Needle nose pliers, 5120--01--430--8332
(4) Magnifying lamp, 6650--00--133--7743
(5) Exacto knife, 5110--01--429--7409
The replacement kit consists of four radomes, one dental pick, adhesive and radome
The following critical inspection and maintenance procedures must be used
along with a current IETM.
5. End Items to be Inspected. Not Applicable
6. Assemblies Components to be Inspected. RFI Radome, Sensor Assembly, and Spiral Circuit.
7. Parts to be Inspected. Not Applicable
8. Inspection Procedures.
a Radome and Spiral Circuit Inspection.
Avoid contact with the spiral circuit in the sensor assembly; and use extreme care
not to scratch the radome. Any damage will degrade performance of the spiral circuit
and sensor assembly.
(1) Upon removal of damaged radome, and before installing replacement radome, inspect replacement radome for
damage such as scratches, nicks, cracks, and other visible damage.
(2) Inspect spiral circuit face, visible in the sensor, using a magnifying lamp after the radome has been removed. The
spiral circuit face shall be free of sealant and visible damage such as circuit line gouges; breaks; deep gashes caused by
foreign object/debris; and mishandling. Minor scratches, however, are acceptable.
(3) Inspect radome for thermal deformation. If damage is found, remove and replace radome using paragraph 9.
(4) Inspect spherical and skirt portions of radome for damage or deformation.
(5) Inspect replaced radome for proper squeeze out, wetting of sleeving. and signs of adhesive at radome and sensor
housing end of sleeving.
(6) Inspect for unwanted adhesive around radome area.
9. Correction Procedures.
The RFI radomes (without shrink sleeving) must be removed from the aircraft only
if the radome is being replaced. The RFI radome (with shrink sleeving) does not
need to be removed from the aircraft. The procedure can be done at AVIM or AVUM.