CORROSION CONTROL/INSPECTION continued
d. Corrosion-prone areas
(1) Aft avionics bay.
(2) Control cables.
(3) Electrical connectors.
(4) Exhaust impingement areas.
(6) Faying surfaces and crevices.
(8) Landing gear.
(9) Magnesium parts, such as magnesium housings.
(10) Spot-welded assemblies.
(11) Water entrapment areas.
1.49.15. Corrosion Removal
(1) Remove paint (TM 55-1500-345-23).
(2) Remove surface corrosion using either a stainless steel brush or Scotchbrite pads and dry cleaning solvent
(item 74, App F) or deoxidize with corrosion removing compound (item 64B, App F).
(3) Apply corrosion removing compound (item 64B, App F) to metal surface.
(4) Allow area to soak for 5 to 10 minutes until corrosion is loosened or dissolved.
(5) Keep surface wet until all oxidation and corrosion are removed.
Scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush will speed up corrosion removal.
(6) Rinse thoroughly using clean, potable water, and allow to dry at ambient temperature. Go to paragraph
GO TO NEXT PAGE