SPECIAL INSPECTION CHECKLIST continued
Helicopter Serial No.:
(16) If no damage is found, do a complete operational check of the
electrical, avionics and automatic flight control systems and all
subsystems with electrical controls and/or wiring, (e.g. DASE,
stabilator, rotor brake, cockpit control panels, engine fire detection
and extinguishing systems, caution and advisory warning systems)
and hydraulic systems. Check VSWR on all antenna systems and
check the magnetic compass accuracy.
(17) If no damage was noted after completing a full operational check of
the aircraft, then either the lightning energy was very low or there was
a near miss and no further inspection is required.
(18) If any damage was noted, then refer to lightning damage inspection
(19) Tag all components being sent to depot with LIGHTNING STRIKE.
(20) Repair or replace damaged components per maintenance
procedures. Discard all damaged hardware not covered under
standard reclamation procedures.
b. LIGHTNING DAMAGE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS
c. MAIN ROTOR AND FLIGHT CONTROLS
(1) Remove each SPAD shear pin and cycle the mechanism to ensure
(2) Replace any component showing evidence of lightning damage.
(3) Check entire top and bottom length of main rotor blades for the
If minor external damage is found, major internal damage may have
(a) Check entire blade length leading and trailing edge for burns, burn
holes, burn streaks, paint discoloration, voids, delamination and
GO TO NEXT PAGE