EMPENNAGE INSPECTION continued
For non-elastomeric mounts ensure no more than one bolt is out at the same time and that the
installed bolts are torqued to breakaway torque plus 50 INCH-POUNDS prior to removing another
For elastomeric mounts ensure no more than one bolt is out at the same time and that the installed
bolts are torqued to breakaway torque plus 75 INCH-POUNDS prior to removing another bolt.
(3) Any bolt which will not hold torque must be removed and inspected immediately along with its mating barrel
nut. If either the barrel nut or bolt are damaged, remove both fasteners and hold as CAT 1 QDR exhibit.
Check and record the torque on the other mounting bolts and include in the QDR.
(4) Replace the defective hardware (para 2.107).
h. Check tailboom vertical stabilizer elastomeric mounts for cracks, corrosion, and foreign objects.
(1) Check four elastomeric mounts for distortion, corrosion, and dirt. Use 10-power magnifier.
(2) Check four elastomeric mounts for cracks. Use 10-power magnifier.
(a) If cracks are suspected, perform nondestructive inspection (TM 1-1500-204-23).
(b) If crack is found, aircraft is non-operational until mount is replaced. Submit a CAT I DR.
(3) Check all four mounts at the exposed outboard ends by removing the flap shield to visibly inspect the cavity
drain hole for debris or plugged up condition.
Do not use alcohol or MEK to clean mount cavity drain.
Do not pour solvents into mount cavity drain.
(a) Clean cavity drain hole with compressed air (para 1.47).
(4) Check four elastomeric mounts for exposed bare metal on visible edge of rubber sandwiched in mount.
(a) If bare metal is found, touchup bare metal (para 1.49).
GO TO NEXT PAGE