HORIZONTAL STABILATOR REMOVAL/INSTALLATION continued
a. Wipe removed and attaching parts and surfaces with a clean rag.
a. Check horizontal stabilator for cracks and corrosion (para 2.102).
b. Check horizontal stabilator leading edge debris cover for cuts, tears, holes, and loose edges (para
c. Check stabilator actuator for cracks and corrosion (para 2.103).
d. Check pivot lugs for damage or distortion. None allowed.
e. Check pivot lugs for corrosion (para 1.49).
f. Check bolts and nuts for stripped threads. None allowed.
g. Check pivot bearings for bearing radial play.
(1) Maximum radial play of 0.010 INCH allowable (TM 55-1500-322-24).
h. Check pivot bearings for bearing axial play.
(1) Maximum axial play of 0.006 inch allowable.
i. Check shoulder bolts, spacers, and pivot lugs for looseness.
(1) Slide spacers in pivot lugs.
(2) Insert shoulder bolts to check axial play. Maximum axial play of 0.006 INCH allowable.
j. Check shoulder bolts and pivot lugs for roughness.
(1) Insert shoulder bolts through pivot lugs to check roughness. Spacer must slide smoothly on bolt.
k. Check bushing limits.
(1) Bushings are considered within limits with 70 percent or more of lining intact. The missing 30 percent may
not be in one continuous area.
l. Check outer race of pivot bearings for looseness. None allowed.
m. Check stainless steel angle bracket on vertical stabilizer at horizontal stabilator mount for wear.
(1) Wear not to exceed 0.012 INCH in depth.
n. Check stainless steel angle bracket for bond separation.
(1) Separation not to exceed 25 percent of total bond area.
GO TO NEXT PAGE