2.114B. HORIZONTAL STABILATOR PIVOT BEARING REMOVAL/INSTALLATION (AVIM) - continued
Check pivot-fitting assembly (3) bearing hole for nicks, burrs, and cracks. None allowed.
Maximum diameter of bearing hole should be 1.8170 inch.
Stake one side of pivot bearing (1).
(1) Install new bearing into bearing holding fixture; use Horizontal Stabilator Pivot Bearing Removal/
Installation Kit (Item 176A, App B).
(2) Install roll-stake tool into chuck of 1/2 -inch diameter drill press.
(3) Apply a light coat of petroleum jelly (Item 138, App F) to contact surface of bearing.
Do not allow petroleum jelly to come in contact with bearing uniball.
(4) With roll-stake tool installed on press, guide roll-stake tool into bearing (1) on slotted side to check
alignment of rollers on tool with grove in bearing (1).
(5) With drill press set at low RPM, guide roll-stake tool onto bearing (1) until roller contact is made.
(6) Apply even pressure until lip is formed over the bearing holding fixture.
Care must be taken not to apply excessive pressure and over-stake
(7) Remove bearing (1) from holding fixture and clean excess petroleum jelly from bearing (1).
(8) Apply a light, even coat of sealing compound (Item 157, App F) to the bearing bore in the bearing mount leg.
Install pivot-bearing (1) into pivot fitting assembly (3).
(1) Install bearing plate on outboard side of pivot fitting (3); use Horizontal Stabilator Pivot Bearing
Removal/Installation Kit (Item 177A, App B).
(2) Install bolt through bearing plate and pivot fitting (3).