2.114B. HORIZONTAL STABILATOR PIVOT BEARING REMOVAL/INSTALLATION (AVIM) - continued
(3) Install alignment bushing into center of bearing (1).
(4) Install bearing (1) onto bolt with roll-staked side (slotted) facing inboard and non-staked side against
pivot fitting (3).
(5) Install pressure plate onto bolt against bearing (1).
(6) Install washer and nut onto bolt and tighten nut until bearing (1) is pressed into pivot fitting (3).
(7) Check to see that roll-staked side of bearing (1) is firmly seated on inboard side of pivot fitting (3).
(8) Remove nut, washer, pressure plate, alignment bushing, bearing plate and bolt.
Roll-stake outboard side of bearing (1).
(1) Use Horizontal Stabilator Pivot Bearing Removal/Installation Kit (Item 176A, App B).
(2) Apply petroleum jelly (Item 138, App F) to roll-staking tool bearing contact surfaces to minimize friction
(3) Install roll-staker on outboard side of bearing (1).
(4) Install rotating bolt through roll staker and bearing (1).
(5) Install alignment bushing onto bearing (1).
(6) Install pressure plate against inboard side of bearing (1) that was previously roll-staked.
(7) Install pressure-bearing assembly and nut onto bolt. Tighten nut until pressure is applied to pressure-bear-
(8) Ensure that the staking rollers are aligned with the groove in the bearing (1). Tighten nut until firm
pressure is applied.
(9) Slowly turn bolt one (1) complete revolution. Torque nut again until firm pressure is applied.
(10) Repeat step (8) until the bearing (1) is firmly staked in place.
(11) Remove nut, pressure-bearing assembly, pressure plate, alignment bushing, roll-staker, and bolt. Clean
any excess petroleum jelly from bearing and roll-staking tool.
When bearing replacement is necessary, it is recommended that
both bearings be replaced.
Seal both sides of bearing (1); use CPC (Item 62A, App F).
(Items 7 and 9, Figure 126,