ENGINE TEARDOWN NO. 2 ENGINE AIR STARTER AND REGULATING VALVE
a. Check air tube for holes, dents, kinks, or abrasions (para 4.2).
b. Check starter and valve for cracked or dented housings. None allowed.
c. Check starter and valve for corrosion (para 1.49).
d. Check output shaft.
(1) Check output shaft for separation. Replace (para 4.82A).
(2) Check for looseness. None allowed.
(3) Check for distortion. None allowed.
(4) Check for spalling, fretting, flaking, chipping, and splitting. Maximum depth allowable 0.003 INCH.
(5) Check for corrosion. Maximum depth allowable 0.003 INCH (para 1.49).
(6) Check spline for wear.
(a) Place two 0.0960 INCH diameter pins 180 degrees apart on spline.
(b) Measure outside diameter over two pins, diameter shall be between 0.7347 and 0.7365 INCH.
Replace (para 4.82A). Use caliper set.
(7) Check output shaft spline for bare metal spots in dry film lubricant. None allowed.
e. Check starter oil filler cap spring feature for sticking or binding. None allowed.
f. Check starter oil filler cap for bent or broken pin. None allowed.
g. Check starter identification plate for legibility, deformation and security of attachment to housing.
h. Check solenoid case for damage. None allowed.
i. Check valve receptacle for broken, missing, or bent pins. None allowed.
j. Check valve for stripped or damaged threads. None allowed.
k. Check valve for loose, missing, or damaged hardware. None allowed.
l. Check valve mounting flange mating surface for nicks, burrs, and distortion. None allowed.
GO TO NEXT PARAGRAPH