DRIVE SHAFT INSPECTION continued
k. Check coupling faces for nicks or scratches.
(1) Nicks or scratches, excluding diaphragms, are acceptable to a maximum depth of 0.005 INCH without
repair except for touch up of exterior.
(2) Nicks or scratches, excluding diaphragms, are acceptable to a maximum depth of 0.015 INCH without
repair when polished out with a fine abrasive cloth.
l. Check couplings for compression or stretching.
(1) Not less than 3.338 INCH or greater than 3.350 INCH flange to flange dimension at any point.
m. Check nutplates for wear.
(1) Starting torque less than 54 INCH-OUNCES. Replace. Use torque wrench.
n. Check coupling for stripped nutplates or loose rivets. None allowed.
(1) Repair by replacing nutplate (TM 1-1500-204-23).
o. Check drive shaft dampers for cracks.
(1) Check visibly or with fluorescent inspection kit (TM 55-1500-335-23). None allowed.
(2) Check inside diameter for wear or nicks deeper than 0.040 INCH.
Do not use wire brush on damper inside diameter while on aircraft or near the drive shaft.
(3) Check inside diameter for accumulation of dirt or debris.
(a) Remove dirt or debris with wire brush to a maximum of 0.020 INCH.
p. Check drive shaft dampers and for inside diameter wear or nicks deeper than 0.125 INCH.
q. Check drive shaft for stripped nutplates or rivets.
(1) Repair by replacing nutplate (TM 1-1500-204-23). Use solid rivets when replacing nutplate.
r. Check hanger bearings for cracks, dents, bearing looseness, rough rotation, nicks, grease seal leak-
age, overheated bearings.
(1) Check for cracks detected visibly or with fluorescent inspection kit (TM 55-1500-335-23). None allowed.
(2) Non-sharp dents are acceptable to a maximum depth of 0.040 INCH.
(3) Non-sharp dents on edges and mounting flanges are not acceptable.
GO TO NEXT PAGE