ENGINE NOSE GEARBOX METALLIC CHIP DETECTOR INSPECTION continued
d. Check chip detector magnetic plug for metal chips, granular steel, metal flakes, or splinters.
(1) If no metal chips, flakes, or splinters are present, continue flight operations.
(2) REPLACE GEARBOX if granular steel is present (looks like sand).
(3) REPLACE GEARBOX if steel splinters or flakes greater than 1/16 (0.062) by 3/16 (0.187) INCH are
present. Go to step d(4) if splinters or flakes are smaller.
(4) REPLACE GEARBOX if more than 10 1/16 (0.062) by 1/16 (0.062) INCH steel flakes or particles are
present. Go to step e if flakes or particles are smaller or fewer.
e. If metal chips, flakes, or splinters are still present on chip detector probe:
(1) Clean chip detector probe area. Use brush (item 34, App F) and dry cleaning solvent (item 74, App F).
(2) Drain system (para 1.26).
(3) Replace filter (para 6.18) or (para 6.19).
(4) Install chip detector (para 6.26).
(5) Service system (para 1.26).
(6) Perform drive system dynamic maintenance operational check (TM 1-1520-238-T).
(7) Go to step d.
f. REPEAT INSPECTION steps a thru e if caution light goes on again (second time).
g. REPEAT INSPECTION steps a thru e if caution light goes on again (third time).
h. REPLACE GEARBOX if caution light goes on again (fourth time).
END OF TASK