TAIL ROTOR GEARBOX INPUT GEAR SEAL ASSEMBLY REMOVAL/INSTALLATION continued
(4) Install retaining ring (9) on retainer (1), if re-
(5) Lubricate seal assembly mating surface of
retainer (1). Use assembly fluid (item 30,
(6) Position retainer (1) on a flat surface with
mounting surface up.
(7) Ensuring seal half (12) part number is facing
front side of retainer (1) and highly polished
surface is facing aft side of retainer (1), posi-
tion seal half (12) in retainer (1).
(8) Cover seal half (12) with lint-free cloth and hand
press seal half (12) in retainer (1) until it bottoms
against retainer (1) flange or retaining ring (9).
Use cloth (item 52, App F).
(9) Lubricate mating surfaces of seal halves (12)
and (14) with three or four drops of lubricating
oil prior to mating. Use lubricating oil
(item 119, App F).
Do not apply any direct physical shock
to seal assembly or damage to seal
assembly may occur.
The seal assembly is a magnetic seal.
Hold seal assembly firmly to prevent
faces from slamming together. Care
must be used when mating seal as-
sembly or damage to mating faces
Do not allow seal halves to slide
across each other or damage to mat-
ing faces may occur.
(10) Bring carbon face of seal half (14) and highly
polished (unmarked) surface of seal half (12)
together axially, without sliding, and mate
(11) Lubricate new packing (8). Use assembly
fluid (item 30, App F).
(12) Install packing (8) on retainer (1).
(13) Lubricate sealing surface of input gear (11).
Use assembly fluid (item 30, App F).
GO TO NEXT PAGE