Do not use radomes as handles; and exercise extreme care when moving and han-
dling the RFI antenna or receiver to avoid permanently damaging fragile dome cov-
LRUs contain sensitive items marked with ESD labels. Recommended ESD handling
procedures shall be used when touching or handling these items. Failure to use these
procedures may result in equipment damage which can degrade spiral circuit and sensor
Isopropyl alcohol is flammable and toxic to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. Skin and eye protection
are required. Avoid repeated or prolonged contact. Good general ventilation is normally adequate. If
injury occurs, seek medical aid.
a Radome Removal (Without shrink sleeving.
(1) Refer to IETM for RFI radome removal.
(2) Apply alcohol on sealant bead around radome using cotton swab (see Figure 1 ).
(3) Carefully pick off sealant bead using modified dental pick (see Figure 2 ).
(4) Place modified dental pick or orange stick under radome and carefully pry upward while gradually moving around
the radome until at least 3/4 of radome seal is broken .
Exercise extreme caution when cutting the radome because any damage degrades per-
formance of the spiral circuit. Avoid contact with the spiral circuit and sensor assembly.
(5) If radome cannot be loosened using dental pick, cut radome with side cutter as shown in Figure 2. Using modified
dental pick, carefully work around radome until a minimum of 3/4 of the seal is broken.
(6) Carefully twist and/or move radome until it is removed from sensor housing.
b Radome (with shrink sleeving) Removal.
The RFI radome (with shrink sleeving) need not be removed from the aircraft when re-
placing a radome. If removal is required, it can be done at AVIM or AVUM.
(1) Refer to paragraph 8 a of this TB for inspection procedures.
(2) Carefully make straight linear cut from one end of sleeving to the other using Exacto knife. Apply just enough pres-
sure to barely cut through sleeving (see Figure 3).
(3) Grip one end of cut sleeving using needlenose pliers, and turn until sleeving wraps around plier ends. Pull upward
while turning until all sleeving is removed.
Removal of tabs is not required, but tabs can break off during the bond breaking pro-
(4) Use Exacto knife to push under epoxy and both tabs to break bond.