SPECIAL INSPECTION CHECKLIST continued
Helicopter Serial No.:
b. Visually inspect the duplex bearing area.
(1) Check the output bearing grease seal for damage or metal
contamination. None allowed.
(2) Manually rotate the clutch output shaft in both directions. The rotating
motion should be smooth with no roughness or binding. A light
amount of drag, caused by the shaft seal, is to be expected.
c. Visually inspect the needle bearing area.
(1) Remove the spiral retaining ring (M27426-3112D) from the inside of
clutch output drive shaft.
(2) Remove the aluminum plug (3886028-1) from the output shaft by
inserting a suitable tool (allen wrench or equivalent) into the inner
groove of the plug, and pull the plug straight out. Discard packing.
Ensure plug is not damaged or lost. Retain plug for re-installation.
(3) Inspect the inside of the bearing cavity for burnt, dry, or blackened
grease. None allowed.
(4) Inspect for the presence of metal particles or other contamination in
the needle bearing cavity. None allowed.
(5) Inspect for damage to the visible portion of the needle bearing and/or
shaft. None allowed.
(6) Rotate the output drive on the clutch while observing the needle
bearing with a flashlight. If the output shaft does not rotate smoothly
and the needle bearing and/or pilot shaft does not remain centered
during rotation, replace the clutch assembly.
(7) Inspect for signs of overheating, characterized by bluing or yellowing
of the metal surface. None allowed.
GO TO NEXT PAGE